Introduction of Artist
He is a ceramic artist living in Aichi Prefecture. He studied pottery in Seto City. He learned his aesthetics from his mentor at a young age.
“When you master something you can express beauty through it. To master something, you don't have time to reach for a lot of things, you need to focus.”
Pursuing an original version of the traditional decorative technique of "Hotarude" (a technique in which holes are filled with transparent glaze after carving.), he combines things that he finds beautiful, such as the heavenly white of porcelain clay, the soft blue of porcelain glaze, and the shadows created by carving. During this process, images from nature and Hotarude lines harmonize to create works that exude beautiful light. After graduating from Aichi Prefectural Seto Pottery High School, he studied under Mr. Masanori Hatano. He actively participated in exhibitions for which he received a number of awards. In 2015, he traveled Europe for 10 months to visit potters in Germany and Sweden, in order to observe techniques utilized by European craftsmen. In 2017, he spent three months as a guest artist at Aw Pottery Studio in Malaysia, and is now making ceramics in Seto City, which has been known for producing a wide variety of ceramics for over 1000 years.
descriptive text descriptive sub text
I study and create ceramics in Seto City, Aichi, a city with more than 1000 years of history in pottery that has produced a wide variety of pottery. I create works using porcelain clay and the traditional technique of “Hotarude”. I feel the beauty in the light beams that shine through the clouds, and I use lines to express that beauty in my own way. I would be happy if my work causes you to experience something significant.
- Born in Nagoya, Aichi
- Graduated from Aichi Prefectural Seto Pottery Senior High School, Started learning under Mr. Masanori Hatano
- Awarded the grand prize of porcelain section at Meshiwan Grand Prix Exhibition
- Awarded the grand prize of ceramics section at the 65th Seto City Art Exhibition
- Tour of 12 European countries including observing ceramics artisans in Germany and Sweden
- Awarded the grand prize of Tableware Festival 2021 Online
Awarded an award of excellence for the 1st Wabunka Grand Prix
- Exhibited at "Modern Thoughts on Pottery: Inside Outside" (Aichi Prefectural Museum of Ceramic Art)
Exhibited at "The Fragments of Homo Farber - The Future of Humans and Crafting" (Aichi Prefectural Museum of Ceramic Art)
Held a Webinar in Denmark for the Japan Brand Program by Ministry of Foreign Affairs